Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Little Gal's Naive Fantasy

When I was younger, and when I made myself a TV addict, I had loved dramatic love stories/dramas. The more dramatic, the better. Literally. Minus the ones you find in Korean love dramas, where you end up finding out the guy's the gal's brother of same father, different mother kinda stories. No, not that kinda dramatic. But dramatic to an extent where you'd cry your lungs out and felt so much for the pair of lovers on screen. As if you were living in their shoes.

And I'd often cursed that typical third party character, like the ex-gf, or the potential fiancée/wife-to-be, or the long-term gf who couldn't seem to just understand that their guy is not into them anymore, that they're now in love with the very sweet-genuine-generous-kind hearted main lead gal. There was always a very clear cut/only-black-and-white-no-gray kinda sensibility and rationale in my very naive heart, thinking how love is that pure and all it should matter is I love you & you love me, you have eyes for me & I have eyes for you. I was very young. And third parties were like god-sent witches. Back then I used to so admire the strength and courage of the two main leads to have struggled and fought against all odds to be together. And that the victory would be when the witch finally gave in and gave up on her whatever sorceries to stop them from loving each other, and that they're finally together, and lived happily-ever-after. (It's in italic, because as I grew, I knew it was just an assumption, an impression that was left from the very long exposure towards the perfect-world on screens).

I said I was naive.
Naive, because it is only when I grew up, that I knew this.
It did take a lot of courage and strength to have stood up and fought for the love you know will be returned. Just like the main leads do.
But it took much greater courage and strength, to be the witch, to have fought for the love you know will never be returned. And it took even more generosity, to have finally step down and raise a white flag, just so you could see the one you love happy.

Can I now say, to all witches I'd ever cursed on screens before, I, Honestly, Salute You!

No comments:

Post a Comment