Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Kids Don't Lie...

There's an unproclaimed fact, that kids don't lie.
To quote this from a real-life example, let me just recall a scenario I've seen first-hand.

Years ago (and I really mean, many, many years ago), an aunt of ours came visiting over.
Back then my youngest sister was just over 2 years of age, she was cute and adorable. The following dialogue took place.

Aunt : "Girl, aunty's (referring to self) hair (she's just got a new haircut & perm) nice or not?"

Sis : *Hesitated* *Thought for a few seconds* and said "I don't dare to say" (innocently truthful).

This remained a classic family joke for years!

This also got me wondering. As we grow older, we tend to adapt to filteration of speech. We say only the nicer things, and many a times, we learn to polish the truth in the name of fear, fear of repercussions. Come to think of it, we can learn from kids sometimes. In their world, they see and draw a perfectly clean and flawless line between black and white (and we were the ones who taught them to), unlike us with extremely vast grey area.

Hence, if you ever caught me bluntly speaking, do spare me a thought, I'm only trying to learn from the kids! *grin* (Nah, I'm just kidding, I won't be blunt, I'll try, haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment