Monday, December 29, 2008

New Year's Resolution...?

Year 2008 will be over soon, in no time, and a new year's coming! [I put an exclaimation mark to signify the excitement of a coming new year, and NOT the excitement of another ending year. It only means I'm getting older by another year! :-( ].

As we all welcome & usher the new year, this could also be a great time for us to take a stroll back and ponder on the highlights that had made our 2008 wonderful! I personally think, I've experienced yet another good year with lots of learning opportunities, by both strokes and chances of luck, and also hard-put effort. Many of the things I never thought or expected myself to achieve, yet I made it somehow. Lots of growing, insights, learning, realisation, thinking, experiencing, etc etc. For one, I started my very own blog, eh? Haha. I guess the one thing we shouldn't look back and feel is 'regret'. Even mistakes are meant to be learned of and improved upon, so we definitely gained from them. All of these, and all the effort put into making your 2008 great, deserves a good year-end party & celebration!

And after all the party-ing is done and over with, comes the 'time of the year' where people asks the big question - "So, what's your new year's resolution?". It's such a commonly-asked thing that even wikipedia has a dedicated page for its definition! Danggg. I, for one, am a person who's not so sure of the new year's resolution trend. There are plenty of reasons that supports such a 'claim'. To start with, I don't think I'm such a disciplined person. I may have a list of resolutions in the beginning of the year, which may go *poof* (vanished in the thin air) by the mid of year. That's if I'm being good. Sometimes, they don't even last half a year, haha. It's not that I don't welcome changes throughout the year. And it's definitely not that I hate resolving or improving things that have room for improvement. It's just in my whole year, there could be so much of changes happening, even in our daily lives. I guess what I mean to say is, I think it's best to stay adaptable and flexible. You may have a list of resolutions in the beginning of the year that you might think not at all that necessary by the 1st, 2nd quarter of the year. OR, you may also not have something in your list in the beginning of the year, but feel necessary to work on by the mid of the year. Say, you just landed a new role in the company, which requires a total shift of skills set. You don't just go by the existing rule in your initial list, do you? But all in all, I guess there isn't any harm to have a general rule to go by. Here's an example (where I think most applicable for me) - 'This year, to save more money & spend wisely!'. Oh, and I think I better add at the back of the statement, 'You better stick to it, Sher Lin!!!' (*Note : 3 bloody exclamation marks! And that's a warning to self!).

Here's wishing all my readers (you know who you are) a Blessed, Prosperous & Successful New Year Ahead! And here's to thank all of you for making my 2008 wonderful! Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wishes. I'm safely tidak malu-ly presume i'm one one of those intended for the greetings. haha! Very long article, i was reading it with half eye opened (just reached home not long ago and tomorrow gotta work! :() so let's see tomorrow if i hv more time to read it n give more constructive comment. nite~! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, "presume I'm one of those intended for the greetings", same wishes to you too!

    ReplyDelete