Monday, January 5, 2009

Life Without Work vs. Life With Work

Gawd. I'm so hyped at one time, sleepy & tired at another, energized at some point, demotivated at some other. I think I've definitely NOT get used to the 'getting out of bed at 7am, and going to bed at 12am' routine. First day of work for the year 2-0-0-9 starts today! And it certainly did start in full-gear ok! I came into office and saw the ever-long list of unread mails waiting to capture my attention and response, and began clearing them, 'til I saw "We regret to inform you that your reservations has been cancelled". WTH. I almost got a heart attack! That was my boss's hotel reservations that I'd by hook, by crook, finalised before I left for my year-end holidays! And now they're telling me it's cancelled 1 day before my boss's scheduled to check in! I was so pissed that I shot them an email with the meanest demand for clarification (well, not really that mean also la... I was just too gan-jiong, so I wasn't as polite to actually use the term "Could you kindly.... please?" like how I always do). Turns out, it was a misunderstanding. Fullstop. My bad. Fullstop. I must've grown 'rust' towards the so-called professionalism concept and grown careless for some reasons over the past week of non-work lifestyle! Luckily enough, I realised it was miscommunication, misunderstanding, misinterpretation, whatever that was, and sent another follow-up mail to the hotel reservations people and let them know it was alright and apologised from my end. I tell you... *Sweat*! But that wasn't all. It didn't just stop there. I had a series of 'heart-attack sessions' that followed to kick-start my entire morning, way throughout lunch hour! Even I'm amazed at the speed I actually un-slack-ed myself and picked up the art of multi-tasking almost instantly after finishing my morning cup of hot milo. I would've usually needed around half a day to warm up and pick up on speed & efficiency at work after a super long break away from office! Today's definitely different. 'Monday Blues' surely did not come visit me today.

But I do miss my waking ups at random hours in the morning (or noon). That, and sleeping at random wee hours way early in the morning. Haha! Now I'm having a hard time adapting to the supposingly normal routine clock. I miss the less-stressed, no-deadlines life. I miss the fun. I miss the laid-back days. I miss being near him. I miss doing things together. And this is something that will come as a shock (especially to myself). I actually miss jogging in the evenings in the neighbourhood. Who would've thought. I enjoyed my alternate evening jogs throughout the past week. Yes, my muscles did sore quite a bit during the entire process (blame the no-exercise lifestyle I'd been living with), but I guess it was the easy-going, peaceful surrounding that made those jogs enjoyable. And he joked I should continue jogging in the evenings when I'm back in KL, except there won't be any neighbourhoods, I can use the 'office-back-to-apartment' trail. Crazy! Where can la! I'd probably inhaled more carbon monoxide, smoke, gas, stinky river banks, stale rubbish dumps ever than oxygen!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I had thoughts on my first working day too... wanted to post something about it tonight. But i've faced enough of computer at work (today off at about 8pm), so last minute decided to be "assignment-free" for the night. But still got heart to come visit ur blog. Laughing when i read the title of your entry. Anyway, blame tai sui for whatever it is and countdown for 26 Jan 2009. If things still so 'challenging', then blame ming sui. hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, blaming blaming blaming again... Me too, haven't submitted my first "assignment 2009".

    ReplyDelete